BUZZARDS BAY, Mass – Volleyball welcomed in Nichols College to the Clean Harbors Center on homecoming weekend for a non-conference matchup. In a match that last just over an hour, the Bucs fell to the Bison in straight sets, 3-0.
Final: Bison 3, Buccaneers 0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-7)
Records: Mass Maritime 1-14 (0-3 MASCAC)
Nichols 8-7 (0-3 CCC)
For The Bucs
- Senior Captain Marie Harrison (Weymouth, Mass) led the Buccaneer attack with five kills. She also had a service ace and was second on the team with 10 digs.
- Junior Madison Coughlin (Monroe, Conn) led the team with 10 assists. She added eight digs to her stat line.
- Senior Captain Christina Ruggeri (Bourne, Mass) led Maritime with 11 digs while also recording a, rare for her, kill.
For The Bison
- Chardae Saunders (Hartford, Conn) led all players with seven kills. She also had three digs and a block, which was the match winning point.
- Sophomore Rachael Veilleux (Wrentham, Mass) recorded a match-high 19 assists while also tallying four digs.
- Sophomore Jayleen Fegan (Mansfield Center, Conn) had a match-high five service aces and 15 digs.
How It Happened
An early 2-0 lead in the first set was erased by a 4-0 run from the Bison to go up 4-2 early. The Bison maintained a three to four-point lead for a few rallies before jumping out to a six-point lead and eventually a 10-point, 22-12, lead late in the set. Maritime would pick up the slack and score five of the next eight points but the three points Nichols did put on the board won them game one, 25-17.
Set two was Maritime's most well-played game of the evening, trading points with their guests until Nichols took a small three-point, 9-6 advantage early on. Nichols made every attempt to increase their lead along the way but at every turn the Bucs were there to close the door and keep within four points. With the score 18-15, Nichols, the Bucs lost their momentum, allowing the Bison to score five unanswered points, taking a 23-15 lead. Maritime closed the gap once again late, scoring five unanswered of their own to pull within three. Nichols proceeded to shut down the host's comeback effort taking the next two points and game two, 25-20.
Unlike set two, set three was all Nichols. Maritime scored the first point of the game but would only score six more points in the set. The Bison went on multiple big runs and took game three, 25-7, and the match, 3-0.
Maritime is on the road for a non-conference match against Lesley University on Tuesday, October 8th at 7pm.