PAXTON, Mass – The Buccaneer volleyball team opened their 2019 season on Saturday against Anna Maria College and Becker College as part of a tri-match hosted by Anna Maria. The Bucs began the year on a high note with a win over the AMCATS in four sets, 25-16, 25-19, 23-25, 25-22, but fell to Becker in straight sets, 25-13, 25-15, 25-13, to finish the day at 1-1.
Match One – v Anna Maria
Final: Mass Maritime 3, Anna Maria 1 (25-16, 25-19, 23-25, 25-22)
Records: Mass Maritime 1-0
Anna Maria 0-1
For the Bucs
- Freshman Hannah Tarbox (Attleboro, Mass) led both teams with 12 kills in the match.
- Junior Madison Coughlin (Monroe, Conn) tied for second among all players with nine kills. She also racked up four service aces and had seven digs.
- Sophomore Bianca Andronic (Somerset, Mass) had seven kills, five service aces and five digs.
- Senior captain Christina Ruggeri (Bourne, Mass) led the Bucs, second between the two teams, with 14 digs.
- Freshmen Isabell Miazga (Rocky Hill, Conn) and Alexa Smith (Shippensburg, Penn) each had 12 digs against AMC. Smith added six kills to her score line.
- Senior captain Michelle Sheehan (Attleboro, Mass) tallied match highs in assists and service aces with 26 and six respectively.
For the AMCATS
- Bella Kozciak had a team high nine kills and 15 digs for the hosts.
- Sophomore Tabitha Franceschet had 10 digs of her own.
- Hannah Mitchell totaled six kills for the 'Cats
- Ashley Sheehan totaled four kills and tied for the match-high in service aces with six.
How it Happened
The Buccaneers controlled the first two sets of the match, not allowing the AMCATS to get over the 20 point mark in either. Maritime's hitting percentage was .042 in the first set and .429 in set two. Compare that to the -.038 and -.200 percentage of Anna Maria.
In set three, the Bucs faltered, losing the set by two points, 23-25, for force a fourth set. Anna Maria kept it close in the fourth set but never led and the Bucs squeaked out the 25-22 set victory to take the win in their first match of the season.
Match Two – v Becker
Final: Becker 3, Mass Maritime 0 (25-13, 25-15, 25-13)
Records: Becker 4-0
Mass Maritime 1-1
For the Bucs
- Freshman Emma Leach (Bourne, Mass) led the Buccaneers with five kills in the match.
- Senior captain Christina Ruggeri (Bourne, Mass) once again led the Bucs with 14 digs, good for second overall in the match.
- Michelle Sheehan (Attleboro, Mass) had 10 assists against Becker with a Buc team high two service aces.
For the Hawks
- Teddi Flynn led the Hawks and the match with seven kills. She also had three service aces and 13 digs.
- Joanna Bampi racked up a match-high 15 digs for Becker.
How it Happened
The Buccaneers were not as effective against the undefeated Hawks as they were against Anna Maria. The Bucs hitting percentage in each set of the match was in the negative. Though the Bucs hung with the Hawks in the first game in terms of numbers and the third game in terms of hitting percentage, Maritime was unable to score more than 15 points in a set and fell 3-0 to Becker.
Up Next: The Buccaneers will play their home opener on Tuesday, September 10th at 7pm against Mount Holyoke College at the Clean Harbors Athletic Center.