MILTON, Mass – The Buccaneer volleyball team took to the road on Thursday night to take on the Curry College Colonels.
Final: Curry 3, Mass Maritime 0 (25-14, 25-10, 25-15)
Records: Mass Maritime 1-3
For the Bucs
- Senior Captain Marie Harrison (Weymouth, Mass) led the Bucs with five kills in the game. Those five kills now have her in a first place tie for most kills in a career as a Buccaneer with 470.
- Senior Captain Christina Ruggeri (Bourne, Mass) racked up 19 digs for the Bucs in the match to lead the team. It was the second most between the two teams.
- Senior Captain Michelle Sheehan (Attleboro, Mass) recorded 13 assists in the game. She has double digit assists in each of the team's first four games of the season. She also had 10 digs in the match.
For the Colonels
- Curry's Lexi Pereira led all players with 11 kills in the game.
- Shea Matthews led all players with 20 digs defensively.
- Lex Bell had 22 assists on the evening.
How it Happened
The first two sets belonged to the Colonels, out hitting the Bucs with 14 kills to seven in the first set and 15 kills to three in set two. Curry's hitting percentage in the first to games of the match were .297 and .270 compared to .028 and -.115 for Maritime.
The Bucs battled in the first set early but Curry picked up momentum with the score 6-4 and ended the set with a 19-10 run.
In set two, the teams traded points at the beginning of the game, going even at threes early. From there, Curry went on two big point runs in the set, 8-0 and then 14-7 to win the set.
Down two sets to none, the Buccaneers opened the scoring in the third set and took an early 1-0 and then 2-1 lead. Curry then scored the next 13 points unanswered to take a 13-2 lead. Maritime scored six of the next ten points to cut the Colonel lead to eight and kept battling but ended up losing the set, 25-15, and the match, 3-0.
The Buccaneers travel to King's Point, N.Y. this weekend for the 10th Annual Maritime Classic, hosted by the United States Merchant Mariner Academy. The Bucs will take on the host Mariners on Saturday at 2pm. They face off against Maine Maritime at 10am on Sunday morning and SUNY Maritime at 12pm on Sunday.