Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
The Official Home of Massachusetts Maritime Athletics

Bucs Lose to Bears in NEWMAC Battle

Bucs Lose to Bears in NEWMAC Battle

NEW LONDON, Mass – Saturday afternoon, the Buccaneers headed to the Coast Guard Academy to take on the Bears in NEWMAC play. An early 6-0 lead for the Bears led them to a 14-9 victory of the Bucs.

Maritime's senior captain Ted Powers (Marshfield, Mass) scored a game-high four goals in the loss. Junior Franklin Ragge (Scituate, Mass) scored three times on three shots on target. Leading scorer Ben Avakian (Bourne, Mass) netted two goals to round out the Buc scoring and had an assist in the game. Trey Guerrini (Foxborough, Mass) and freshman Spencer Jones (Hyannis, Mass) each assisted on two goals for Maritime. Senior goalie Michael Dolan (McLean, Va) started the game in goal, faced 16 shots, made seven saves and allowed nine goals. Dolan only played the first quarter before being relieved by Matthew Pierson (Longmeadow, Mass). Pierson made six saves and allowed five goals on 1 shots faced.

Coast Guard's offensive attack was led by Riley McNulty with four goals and three assists. Three players, Conor Rowan, Will Iorio and Benner Guertsen all scored two goals for the Bears. Iorio also had two assists, Rowan and Guertsen each had one. Four other player each scored once for CGA. The Bears played four goalies in the game. Starter Trey Johnson allowed three goals and made four saves on seven shots, picking up the win after playing the first half.

Coast Guard jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the first quarter, scoring first three and a half minutes in to the game and the sixth goal of the run with four minutes left in the quarter. Avakian erased the clean sheet 30 seconds later on a man up goal, assisted by Jones. Coast Guard picked up momentum after the Buc goal, scoring three times in 1:30 to take a 9-1 lead. Powers made the score 9-2 with a goal with just under a minute remaining in the first.

After an 11-goal first quarter, the scoring slowed in the second. Coast Guard outscored Maritime in the quarter, 2-1, to take an 11-3 lead at the halftime break. The lone goal in the quarter by Maritime came from Powers on another man-up opportunity.

Coming out of the break, the Bears scored quickly to go up nine, 12-3. The Bears would score twice more before Powers could find the back of the net with some help from Guerrini. The Bucs trailed, 14-4, going to the fourth.

The fourth quarter was all Maritime. Down 10, the Bucs scored five unanswered goals in the quarter, six going back to the third, but it was only enough to cut the 10-goal lead in half. Ragge scored the final Maritime goal with 1:24 on the clock and it would be as close as the Bucs would get to the Bears, falling 14-9.

The Bucs are on the road for their next game on Wednesday, April 24th against Wheaton in NEWMAC play.

Mass. Maritime Buccaneers101 Academy Drive. Buzzards Bay, MA 02532508-830-5049 Privacy Policy