Buccaneers Lose to Owls in Double Overtime on the Road

Buccaneers Lose to Owls in Double Overtime on the Road

WESTFIELD, Mass – The Buccaneers men's soccer team travelled to Westfield Saturday for a 12pm kickoff in MASCAC play with the Westfield State Owls. For the second time in three games, and third time this year, Maritime played in a game that went in to the second overtime period. Unlike last time out against UMass-Dartmouth, the Bucs ended up on the losing end, falling 1-0 to the Owls.

Maritime posted another high shot total, 19 in total in this one, 12 on target. Sophomore, Justin Burns (Walpole, Mass) led the way with four shots on target of the five he took. Andrew Wayrynen (Rockport, Mass) and Adam Crawford (Kingston, Mass), two of the goal scorers from Thursday's win over Dean College, each had three shots on net in the contest. Senior goalie, Connor Murphy (Mashpee, Mass) saved ten shots in the game of the 11 the Owls put on target, allowing just the deciding goal in the second overtime. This was Murphy's first loss in four games this season.

Westfield State were able to rattle off 24 shots in the game, but their efficiency wasn't great, hitting the target 11 times. Legend Mu'min scored the lone goal for the hosts in the 102nd minute to win the game for the Owls. Goalie Tyler Diotalevi saved 12 of 12 shots he faced to improve to 3-1-1 on the year.

Though both teams tallied a high number of shots, neither was able to find the back of the net in regulation. The story in regulation was the physicality of the game. In the match there were three yellow cards and two red cards issued. Receiving the first red card in the game was Brendan Gawron (Braintree, Mass), who was sent off in the 57th minute. The second red card was issues to the Westfield State bench, prompting the sending off of the Owl's coach, in the 60th minute. Playing a man down, the Bucs were able to keep the game scoreless for the remainder of regulation. In the first overtime, each team shot the ball once with most of the action happening in the middle of the field with both defenses playing well. In the second overtime, it took just over a minute for Mu'min to break through and find the back of the net to grab the conference win for the Owls.

With the loss, Maritime falls to 4-7-1 on the season, snapping a three game winning streak. In conference, the Bucs are now 1-3. The Owls improved to 3-4-2 on the year, 2-0-2 in the MASCAC.

The Buccaneers have the week off to get ready for next Saturday, October 13th, when they will continue MASCAC play with a trip to Framingham State for a 4pm kickoff.