Cooks Second Goal Pushes Maritime Past Dartmouth in Double Overtime

Cooks Second Goal Pushes Maritime Past Dartmouth in Double Overtime

BUZZARDS BAY, Mass – The Buccaneers hosted the UMass-Dartmouth Corsairs at rainy Clean Harbors Stadium on Tuesday evening in non-conference action. The winless Corsairs gave the Bucs a run for their money but in the end, the Academy took the game 3-2 in the second overtime period.

The Buccaneers shot 28 times in the game with 16 on target. Sophomore Benjamin Cook (Ft. Myers, Fla) scored a double in the game, scoring the team's first in the 12th minute and the game winner in the 101st minute. The two goals were his fifth and sixth of the season. Junior midfielder Adam Crawford (Kingston, Mass) scored his third and the middle goal for Maritime in the 39th minute. Three different player, Brady Lemmon (California, Maryland), Andrew Wayrynen (Rockport, Mass) and Adam Bubencik (Foxboro, Mass) had assists on the Buc goals. Goalie, Connor Murphy (Mashpee, Mass) started his second game of the season and won his second game of the season. Murphy made five saves on seven shots he faced in the game.

Dartmouth shots the ball 14 times, half of the time on target. The Corsairs got goals in the game by Jake Moreira and Nate Chhim. The two goals Dartmouth scored upped their season tally from three goals to five. In goal, Danny Andrade faced a barrage of shots, 15 to be exact, and saved 12 of them, allowing the three goals.

Maritime took a quick early lead in the 12th minute on Cook's first goal of the night. 28 seconds later, off the kickoff, Moreira equalized in the 13th minute unassisted. With both teams searching for their second goal, both defenses acted in kind, tightening up after the two quick goals. It wasn't until the 39th minute that Crawford would break the tie and send the game to overtime 2-1 in favor of the Buccaneers.

As the second half start the intensity of the rain picked up, causing a slippery surface and sloppy play. 12 minutes in to the half, the Corsairs took advantage of some Maritime miscues and scored the tying goal in the 58th minutes off the foot of Chhim, which was also his first career goal. The next 30 plus minutes proved uneventful in terms of scoring however, four yellow cards were issued, two to each team and three in 10 minutes. The surface remained slippery and neither team could find the back of the net in regulation sending the game to overtime tied, 2-2.

The first 10 minutes of the sudden death overtime included four shots total, three from Maritime and one by Dartmouth. The second overtime began, and it didn't take long for Maritime to break through the Dartmouth defense to score the winning goal just a minute in to the second overtime period to take the match, 3-2.

With the win, Maritime improves to 3-6-1 on the season, Dartmouth drops to 0-9-1. Maritime is back at Clean Harbors Stadium on Thursday night with a non-conference matchup with the Dean College Bulldogs at 7pm.